Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 20, 2011

When you are running in circles, which way is forward?

As I sit here in my studio, working on my latest attempt at a painting, I am stuck. When I started this canvas, I knew just what  I wanted to do, the feeling I wanted to project. That was my first mistake. As always, the paintings tend to take on a life of their own, they dictate to me what they want to be (never underestimate the power of a stubborn painting). They are like teenagers, you know whats best for them, but they  have other plans.....evil little buggers these canvas's! So my earthy purple gray background has all these unexpected colors, like a Franz Marc painting, so much for subtlety.

 It's times like these when I need to step back and take it in for a minute, breath, observe, think. Stand back and listen to it...because sometimes, even stubborn teenagers have a point.

 I have to remember that it is sometimes necessary to deviate from the original plan....and listen to my canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment